Apple pancakes with our Wassail Mulled Cider Sauce
Looking for something to spice up your pancake day? Try making our moreish Wassail Mulled Cider sauce and drizzling it over golden apple pancakes.
Cornish Orchard’s Wassail Mulled Cider is a warming brew of cider and apple juice, infused with fresh oranges and hand-blended spices. This traditional mulled cider is available to buy from our Cider Shop or from our Online Shop.
Serves: 2 people
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
50g plain flour
A pinch of salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
Butter for cooking
1 apple (unpeeled, cored and sliced)
2 tablespoons butter
Cornish Orchards Wassail Sauce
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Sprinkle ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon cornflour
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
4 tablespoons Cornish Orchards Wassail Mulled Cider
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
To make the sauce
- Mix the caster sugar, cornflour, cinnamon powder, ground nutmeg and our delicately spiced Wassail Mulled Cider in a small saucepan until it’s free from lumps.
- Heat the sauce over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until it has thickened (keep stirring to stop it from getting too hot and sticking).
- Add the lemon juice and butter to the sauce and stir on the heat for another couple of minutes.
- Your sauce is ready to serve! Delicious hot or cold.
To make the apple topping
- Simply place a frying pan on high heat and add the butter and sliced apple.
- Stir this from time to time until the apple slices are glistening and golden brown.
To make the pancakes
- In a bowl, whisk together the plain flour, salt and egg until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the milk bit by bit, whisking as you go, until you have a thin pancake batter.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter and slowly stir it in to the pancake mix.
- Put a flat frying pan on a high heat and melt a bit of butter in the pan.
- Remove any excess butter and turn the heat down to medium.
- Pour in enough pancake batter to thinly cover the bottom of the frying pan.
- Once the underside is golden and the top is set, go ahead and flip your pancake!
- Cook for another couple of minutes until the base is golden, before placing it on your plate.
- Top your pancake with the lightly caramelised apples and scrumptious Cornish Orchards Wassail Mulled Cider sauce.
Add a dollop of natural yoghurt to the top of your pancakes and sprinkle with cinnamon to make them even more irresistible!
Or why not try our irresistable Wassail Mulled Cider sauce drizzled over hot waffles?
Posted by Laura Smith
24th February 2017